Thursday, June 17, 2010

When Daddy Fell Into the Pond...




Everyone grumbled. The sky was grey.
We had nothing to do and nothing to say.
We were nearing the end of a dismal day,
And then there seemed to be nothing beyond,
Then
Daddy fell into the pond!


And everyone's face grew merry and bright,
And Timothy danced for sheer delight.
"Give me the camera, quick, oh quick!
He's crawling out of the duckweed!" Click!


Then the gardener suddenly slapped his knee,
And doubled up, shaking silently,
And the ducks all quacked as if they were daft,
And it sounded as if the old drake laughed.
Oh, there wasn't a thing that didn't respond
When
Daddy Fell into the pond!


Alfred Noyes

3 comments:

  1. We loved the girls' reaction - they didn't think it was funny - much!!!

    David & mob

    ReplyDelete
  2. So that old children's book gives a whole new generation a good laugh, hey???? Please save it for Jenny!!! Love Mum and Dad Packham XXXXX

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tony, Ellen, Francasca and Liberty. I have been following your blog and enjoying your adventures, even the short video of Tony falling in the pond. I retired on 30 June so my adventures will begin soon. I'm off to China in a few months to visit my new daughter in law. Brad and I are planning a trip across Canada next summer. Your giving us lots of ideas.

    ReplyDelete